The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Again about etymology: rc
@ 2016-03-23 22:06 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2016-03-23 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: "Jeremy C. Reed"

    > The /etc/rc concept wasn't new in 4BSD.

It was in V6, and probably before that; it's truly ancient.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Again about etymology: rc
@ 2016-03-23 19:20 Rocky Hotas
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Rocky Hotas @ 2016-03-23 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,
I am Rocky and this is my first message. Before starting, I would like to thank you for all the valuable informations and stories you post here.
About the History of Unix, I was wondering with another guy why the rc script has that name. As many of you already know, and according to NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD (current) manual,

"The rc utility is the command script which controls" the startup of various services, "and is invoked by init(8)" (from DESCRIPTION).
"The rc command appeared in 4.0BSD" (from HISTORY).

Words may slightly change between the three distributions, but the meaning and the informations provided are the same. So, the etymology of rc does not appear in the man pages. Do you know how to recover it? Do (or did) the letters rc have some meaning in this context?
Cheers,

Rocky