On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Warner Losh wrote: > > > On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote: > >> On Sat, 2 Sep 2017, Nemo wrote: >> >> Hhhmmm... This begs the historical question: When did LF replace CR/LF >>> in UNIX? >>> >> >> Unix has always used NL as the terminator :-) > > > was the line terminator in DEC operating systems that grew up > around the same time as Unix. CP/M and MS-DOS inherited that from them > since those systems were developed, in part, using cross compilers running > on DEC gear with DEC OSes. Unix came from the Multics world where LF was > used as the line terminator... Thankfully, neither CP/M nor MS-DOS picked > up DEC's RMS... > > Warner > ​The fun story on that Warner is after years of dogged defense of RMS, when C was written for VMS, Cutler had to add Stream I/O. The moment is was released, much (?most?) of customer base (including a lot of internal folks like the compiler runtime and DB folks) switched to using it. It was so much easier.​ I never heard Dave back down, but it I used to smile when I saw the statistics. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: