On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 11:24 PM Doug McIlroy wrote: > The use of %% to designate a literal % in printf is not > a recent convention. It was defined in K&R, first edition. > FWIW, I still have an old (fading) copy of the galley proofs for the first edition. Page 147 (*Chapter 7 - Input and Output, Section 7.3 Formatted Output - Printf*) first full paragraph on the page: If the character after the % is not a conversion character, that character is printed: thus % may be printed by %%. > > Doug > > Ralph Cordery wrote: > > Though that may seem odd to our modern C-standardised eyes, it's > understandable in that if it isn't a valid %f, etc., format specifier > then it's a literal percent sign. > >