On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 3:36 PM Leah Neukirchen wrote: > But that's a common misconception and not how Ctrl-D works on Unix. > Point taken and my bad on my explanation. Absolutely, any characters can be stored or read/written in a file. As you explained, the *interpretation* of the character is done elsewhere and my words could have been misunderstood by my lack of precision. In fact, tools like uucico and IP over serial all required a full 8-bit path without any interpretation through the terminal handler and would have needed other tricks like escaping to have been made to work otherwise. But what I did say was true. The question was why ^D and I pointed out that the ASCII EOT character was picked for the characters for the terminal handler to use when it needs to make the distinction of when this is the end of the input sequence - i.e. EOT. Moreover, we were discussing a number of chars being processed by the terminal handler such a # @ vs. ^H ^U ^C or SW flow control ^S/^Q, Job Control ^Z/^T and the like. mei cupla for not being more clear. ᐧ