FWIW: it is possible rms sent in comments and offered thoughts that we had to handle. He may consider that as partition. He might have even been at later .2 meetings after I stopped coming. But he was not at any .1 meetings and the name was created during that time by Jim Isaak IIRC. FWIW Keith Bostics was at some of the .2 meetings Keith might haven there when we got .1 to the stage and when started the .2 work. I was part of all off .1 and an early draft of .2. Keith and I wrote the proposal that became pax after I demonstrated tpio my hack to splice a cpio front end to tar (I never wrote car). A few meetings later we got the first draft of .2 out and was pretty much done at that point. So if rms joined then it’s possible but the standard was in the oven before he might have done anything. And since we travelled to different sites for the meetings and he did not have a firm to cover his travel costs, I would very surprised he was at many later ones either. Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 10:46 PM Clem Cole wrote: > Garbage. Rms was never at any early IEEE meeting that I was at - you > could smell him a mile away as he rarely bathed. I certainly knew him in > those days. I also have an early draft with all participants named and he > is not one of them!! > > Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual > > > On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 9:11 PM Greg 'groggy' Lehey > wrote: > >> On Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 20:44:12 -0400, Clem Cole wrote: >> > rms had nothing to do with the name posix. I have no idea where that >> > comment came from. >> >> At the very least, from rms himself: >> https://stallman.org/articles/posix.html >> There's a reference to this page in the Wikipedia page on POSIX. >> >> > The p1003 committee for Ieee was the portable operating system standard >> and >> > at the time adding ix was the norm. POSIX became the term we all used >> to >> > refer to the work we doing. Rms was not involved in any way >> >> rms suggests that he was involved in the committee? Not true? Maybe >> a different, related committee? >> >> Greg >> -- >> Sent from my desktop computer. >> Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. >> See complete headers for address and phone numbers. >> This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program >> reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php >> >