On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 6:16 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > > It was rewritten over time, > > which replaced AT&T's implementation. Which is all that was ever > claimed. > > And it's a false claim. > I believe you. But BSD's rewrite was good enough. The real key is the BSDi/UCB *vs.* USL/AT&T case was *not about the code (or copyrights).* That is the piece most hackers don't seem to understand. The case was about *trade secrets (or not) *and thus the *ideas*. BSDi/UCB released their system which clearly had started with code that had originated with AT&T and thus the *ideas* had to have originated there too. I think too many hackers get caught up in FOSS, GPL,* et al,* and miss the point. The real debt which we can never repay Doug, Ken, Dennis, and friends was their *ideas* and the way they broke down and solved problems. The code is a by-product, the existence proof that it was more than theory, but had a practical use. ᐧ