Yes. Thanks. I do remember it in 6 and the hack in cc to run it or not(it took years for me to break the habit of starting a C program with a #) but what I don’t remember was it in v5 - which we only ran briefly (I personally never saw V4 either although I know Columbia and I believe Harvard had it) Clem On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 6:12 PM Rob Pike wrote: > Cpp was definitely in v6, and I'm pretty sure it was in earlier editions. > The first pass of the C compiler would invoke it if the first byte of the > source file was a '#'. However, the early version only did #define and > #include. It was rewritten for v7, I believe, introducing the catastrophe > of #ifdef, while the existential horror of #if was later still, foisted on > us by someone not in Research. > > -rob > > > On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 9:53 AM Clem Cole wrote: > >> >> Some thoughts .. >> >> 1.) the precursor to the csh is the newshell in {1}BSD. It's Joy's hack >> to the Thompson shell and you might find it more usable. >> 2.) PWB 1.0 is based on a V6 kernel and has the Mashey Shell, which is in >> C and predates Bourne's It might also be easier for you to use. >> 3.) srb wrote his shell during the transition between V6, TS and V7. At >> least one version ran on the V6++ system we had at CMU, but of course as >> pointed out, it is written in Bourne-Gol. And I'm pretty sure his CPP >> definitions will need at least a gen2 /lib/cpp implementation*** However, >> Steve was also doing it at the time when the compiler was being updated. >> FWIW: We also had the 'Typesetter C' running on our V6 system in those >> days. So my >>guess<< is that v6 + Typesetter C - will compile the V7 >> shell. >> >> Clem >> >> >> >> *** Rob or Steve Johnson - maybe remembers when cpp first appeared. I >> don't remember if it was part of V5 or not - those bits have faded from my >> brain. What I do remember is there were a couple of different cpp's early >> on. The first one was pretty crude by today's standards, albeit it was a >> cool idea and it was the one thing I really liked about C over BLISS early >> on [BLISS had Macros, which was cool aalso, but cpp could do things Bliss >> could not]. >> > -- Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual