The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] What was the first edition of UNIX that left AT&T
@ 2017-08-31 22:33 Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-08-31 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was recently asked a question that I was not sure the answer, so I
thought I would pass it to this group of folks.

What was the first edition that actually left Murray Hill and where did it
go?

My own first encounter was the Fifth edition but I know that was later.
I'm pretty sure both Harvard and MIT had it before CMU.   I'm thinking
Fourth edition went to Harvard and some other places ??NYU?? ??MIT??   Did
anything earlier than Fifth ever leave Murray Hill?

I don't think UCB or UofI got it until the Sixth edition.   I believe there
was some earlier commercial site ??CU in NYC maybe?? may have been in there
also but I have no idea what version that was.

Doug do you know?

Warren any ideas?

Tx
Clem
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] What was the first edition of UNIX that left AT&T
@ 2017-09-02  2:12 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-09-02  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: "Jeremy C. Reed"

    > I don't know the key for "v" but maybe means "very distant host"

Yes. See:

  http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/jpg/ARPANet/L77Dec.jpg

and look at the MIT-44 IMP (upper right center). It's listed as having a
PDP-11, with the /v, and that machine (LL-ASG, 1/44) was definitely on a VDH
(it was not in Tech Sq). (A VDH was basically an IMP modem interface
hardware-wise, but made to look like a host at a high level within the IMP
software.)

    > He also told me the Unix v6 Arpanet code was from San Diego.

Err, he may have gotten it from San Diego, but they didn't write the code, it
was written at UIll. See:

  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC

which contains a copy of the code, which came to me via NOSC in SD.

      Noel