On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 2:16 PM, Paul Winalski wrote: > On 4/27/18, Dave Horsfall wrote: > > On Wed, 25 Apr 2018, Paul Winalski wrote: > > > >> Bin number was zero except on the IBM 2321 data cell drive. CKD drives > >> supported a variable number of records on each track, hence the term > >> "record" rather than "sector". > > > > Would that have been the infamous chicken-plucker?[*] Wherein if things > > went OK, then they were OK, but if things went wrong... > > That's the one. I'd always heard "noodle picker", though. From the > outside it looked like a drum in the shape of a multi-sided polygon. > Each bin held a number of wide pieces of multitrack magnetic tape. To > seek to your data, the drum rotated under a head that pulled the > appropriate tape out of the bin and wrapped it on rotating drum. From > there reading and writing was much like any other drum device. It's > as if someone asked Rube Goldberg to design a disk drive. ​Accept that it will like tape in the head contacted the media. Question for Debbie S --- my memory is you folks had one up the hill at LBL. I think that's where I saw it in action.​ ᐧ -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: