On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 9:28 AM KenUnix wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to use the 'dump' program but it references rmt1. > > My system only has rmt0. I have been unable to find how to > create this device. I have looked over the reference material > but it only references rmt0. > > Is there any way to redirect a dump to use rmt0? > Some thoughts... 1.) start with the man page: https://man.cat-v.org/unix_7th/1/dump You note the first key parameter described is f - i.e. dump fu0 /dev/rmtXXX /dev/rrpY Remember on traditional research systems like V6/V7you should use rmtX and rrpY not mtX and rpY as you don't what to use the buffer cache (modern UNIXs & Linux use the paging HW so things like need for the old I/O buffer cache are avoided). 2.) next: read: https://man.cat-v.org/unix_7th/4/tm cd /dev; ls -l *mt* (if you type: cat makefile that would not hurt) I suspect you will see three devices: mt0 (a blocked device i.e. thru the buffer cache and then copied in/out to your program) and two raw devices: rmt0 and nrmt0 (character devices i.e. direct I/O to your program). Using mknod create the next Unit number - i.e. three more device files: mt1 rmt1 and nrmt1 - don't forget chmod them too Now with simh, you can add: attach tm1 some_local_file 3.) since you are using simh, you could also use the RH11/RH70 based Tapes which are the ht devices: https://man.cat-v.org/unix_7th/4/ht The makefile in dev will create 2 drives for you and make sure you use a UNIX kernel configured with the ht driver included. Also in simh, enable TU0 and TU1 instead of TM0 and TM1 I would not recommend recompiling the tape utilities, although as Dan said you could do that. ᐧ