There was never a System IV and System III was purely marketing, look at the docs it's PWB 3.0 but the few AT&T marketing/branding folks around didn't want to use the term 'Programmer' when it tried to compete with IBM (which was Charlie Brown - AT&T CEO - dream in those days). As I understand it, the issue was that said folks wanted to sell to commercial sites (and in particular the 3B20S), and naming the software to drive with a term like 'programmer' would be a turn-off for less technical (traditional big blue) customers. As for why PWB 4.0 never got released I believe that was there was a lag between what Summit (NJ) did as the 'UNIX Support Group' and what was being released as 'product' (NC). Remember this is all part of the post-Judge Green world @ AT&T and things were not really smooth. >>>my impression<< (and like you would love to know more), was that the release of PWB 3.0 was part of the pre-consent decree SW release rules, and by the time of System V, it was full steam ahead. PWB 4.0 was finished up during that funny period between the two. ᐧ ᐧ On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 3:38 PM Warner Losh wrote: > So I've seen a number of places that talk about Unix TS 3.0 -> 4.0 -> 5.0 > progression and how System III was released and System V was released and > System IV was internal only. > > What I've not seen is the "why" part of this. Why was it internal only? > > Warner > >