On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:47 AM Noel Chiappa wrote: > Wow! WD created the QBUS? Fascinating. I wonder if DEC made any changes to > the > QBUS between the original demo WD boards and the first DEC ones? I can not say I know and I would suspect they peed on it in some manner, that *was the DEC culture*. I've just sent a note to Mr. BI to see if he knows and I'll pass back anything I learn if I do. Sounds like the sort of thing they might have gotten changed before it was release. > Are there any documents about the WD original still extant, do you know? > I'm pretty sure we had some stuff from WD at CMU, because CM* was made out of a lot of them, and CMU did custom microcode so they could talk to the capabilities and K.map HW. I remember seeing some prints with WD markings on it, but I was not heavily involved other than working the new distributed front-end which we did with LSI-11s. Somebody from the CMU HW lab like Jim Teter might know, although he did the 11/40e for C.mmp, I'm not sure who was the microcode guru on CM* as that was all happening as I was leaving. I sent a couple of emails to folks like Danny Klein, Mike Liebensberger, and Tron McConnell. Danny and Mike are SW folks, Tron was a EE/HW type but mostly worked on other stuff at Mellon Institute in those days. But, IIRC, Tron was worked on a 3Mbit Xerox board for the LSIs, so he might have had something. We all did some stuff with CM* (Mike more than any of us). FWIW: Tron was (is) a bit of packrat and if he ever had anything like that, he might still have it.