On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 4:22 PM Dan Cross wrote: > On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 2:40 PM Clem Cole wrote: > >> Dan - thanks. >> > > Sure thing. > > By the way: the thing I was thinking about earlier that was so biting > towards OOP was an earlier version of Harper's post, in which he writes, > "Object-oriented programming is eliminated entirely from the introductory > curriculum, because it is both anti-modular and anti-parallel by its very > nature, and hence unsuitable for a modern CS curriculum." > https://web.archive.org/web/20110321004746/https://existentialtype.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/teaching-fp-to-freshmen/ > (How's _that_ for an academic glove-slap?) > Amen... My disagreement with them using scripting (python) as step one is the lack of teaching data typing early AND python's silly use space/tabs to set up structure instead of real {} or B/E blocks. Automatic data conversion has never been a good idea in my experience because like many things that happen magically, it almost never works as I expect. Funny we were discussing the roff family and that is why I like it over things like Word -- way too much hidden behind the screen for my taste. I'm a make it explicit kinda guy I guess. I hate surprises ... Also, it remains to be seen if teaching FP early helps - which they are clearly making play. Who am I to say, as one of the earliest languages I learned APL, so FP thinking was drilled into me in my youth. Clem