6th edition had fc but it would not take a standard F4 (or F2) deck to my knowledge. It may have been in 5th also. It was pretty limited. As I said, I remember one of the arguments for why not UNIX in the EE Dept was the lack of a 'proper' Fortran implementation. I remember an an early attempt at f2c in those days [which I think came from UMich], but it did not work much better than fc itself as it was a subset language. FYI: f2c was much later (I want to say 82-83ish and post f77). But it was what Ted and I used to start to convert advent to C for the UNIX, so that was pre V7 and must have been 76ish. Clem ᐧ On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 1:39 PM, Paul Winalski wrote: > On 3/19/18, Clem Cole wrote: > > arrgh -- dyslexia -- VT-100's are NOT full ansi [they use the ANSI > > sequences, but do not implement all of the features/behaviors in the > > spec]. VMS Fortran started the same way, although it did conform in time > > because it had to pass the Fortran validation tests. > > > VAX/VMS Fortran was under development at the same time as the > Fortran-77 standard. For the VMS Fortran development team, the new > F77 features weren't a particularly high priority at the time because > there wasn't any existing code that used them, whereas there was a ton > of dusty-deck IBM FORTRAN II and FORTRAN IV code out there, especially > in the educational market DEC was keenest to sell the VAX into. F77 > features were implemented over time in VAX/VMS Fortran, and after a > couple of releases it was fully Fortran-77 compliant. But at first > release in 1978 it was an extended subset of F77. > > Was f77 the first Fortran for UNIX, or were there other compilers for > Fortran before f77 came along? > > -Paul W. > -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: