Arnold -- good memory. It was in 4BSD (see disk1 of the McKusick disks) but it is not in 3BSD. I agree with you, it was not in V7 or 32v (but was in later BSD 2.9/10/11 releases). Frankly, I have memories of Ratfor in V7 on the PDP-11 [and used as part of my thesis on the Vax]. IIRC to use ratfor on the 11, you needed the V7addenda that had a bunch of F77 fixes. I have memories of EFL and reading the doc. But I have no memories of ever using it - although Hilfinger may have talked about it in the UCB grad comparative languages seminar maybe in 81/82 timeframe (my memory is hazy - I know it was there that Paul was the one that taught me to not hate Ada so much and understand why Ada was like it was). What I can not place is where I first saw EFL. My WAG would be UCB. FWIW: Stu did a sabbatical at UCB when I was a grad student. I'm going to guess maybe he brought it with him during that time. On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 2:16 PM wrote: > Hi. > > EFL was definitely a part of BSD Unix. But I don't see it in the V7 > stuff in the TUHS archives. When did it first appear? Was it part > of 32V and I should look there? > > It is definitely in the V8 and V10 stuff. > > Did anyone actually use it? I have the feeling that ratfor had already > caught on and spread far, and that it met people's needs, and so > EFL didn't really catch on that much, even though it provided more > features on top of Fortran. > > Thanks, > > Arnold >