On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 12:49 PM Warner Losh wrote: > Thanks Clem. > Most welcome > > One minor clarification. Jordan and the patchkit work did predate NetBSD. > However, the NetBSD project formed a little before the FreeBSD project that > grew out of the patchkit days. Jordan didn't get that moving until NetBSD > made rumblings... > Right - if I was not clear, on that ordering, mei culpa. > it was still a time that you heard a lot of what was going on by word of > mouth, not so much by postings and email... > Exactly. > > The OpenBSD split was years later... and a complicated mix of personality > conflicts and technical differences. > A real shame IMO, but giving the personalities, I'm not sure it was not predestined, > But in many ways it was a smaller split since for a long time they were > almost 100% compatible at the driver level > Very true, I run OpenBSD on my router/main server - I just want a minimum system, that I feel it safe. I have NetBSD on a couple of boxes cause it runs and FreeBSD or Linux on others. And MacOS on my desktop. I'm sort of, whatever gets the job done and I don't have to think too much about it, but it's probably why the little incompatibilities drive me nuts.