The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
To: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc: "tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org list" <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>,
	Paul Ruizendaal <pnr@planet.nl>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Old Unix source code DVD [was: V6 networking & alarm syscall]
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 09:38:14 -0500	[thread overview]

Jeremy,

A few of us are trying to unravel some of the mysteries of what is what.
 The original 4 CD's has an early version of the TCP stack from BBN
(although the provenance of same is not exactly clear).  That is the code
that Warren has in the archives.   Since he originally published the CD
Kirk obtained some other things (as Paul mentioned).   Paul and I are both
trying to sift through what Kirk has, although again provenance is
unfortunately not as clean as we would like.  The bad news is that Rob
Gurwitz (was the original author of the BBN IP/TCP stack) does not seem to
have tapes himself and has pointed Paul and I at Kirk's archives for now.
The question is can we figure out what it what.

Paul has done a great job of looking at some old DARPA qtr reports that BBN
sent to ARPA that helps to put some structure around some of this.  Then
using dates from there and some of the files, plus the memory of some of
the protagonists involved, we can try to sort it out.

We'll let you all know what we learn ASAP.   FWIW:  Folks have been helping
Warren get it right in his pages.   For instance, his old page on the BBN
TCP, had some wording that was easy to misconstrue.   That data is being
clarified so the reader does not in-advertently rewrite history.   We'll
continue to do that when we can.   I do hope that when the dust settles, we
see the historical archives as complete and correct as possible.

Clem
ᐧ