Fair enough, but was a cute joke that made those "in the know" smile (like me), but less of a dig at a marketing naming IMO - like RHEL - not seeing the obvious way to pronounce the name - duh. I was more thinking terms of things like that that marketing folks just were clueless. Clem ᐧ On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:17 AM William Pechter wrote: > UNIX is a trademark of AT&T > AT&T is a modem test command. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Clem Cole > To: Dave Horsfall > Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society > Sent: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 10:42 > Subject: Re: [TUHS] UNIX System names - since UNIX was a Trademark > > Dave Horsfall's comment about AIX made me think. The joker in me has > always been impressed by how marketing people 'missed' the obvious > pronunciations that would lead to serious > > jokes. > Some of the more memorable ones from the UNIX world that I knew: AIX -> > "aches", CRDS -> "cruds", HP-UX -> HP "yucks" and "hockey pucks" and my > favorite: RHEL -> "our hell" > > I bet there are more and others I did know/consider ;-) > > That said, I did hear a pro-VMS person in ZKO (*i.e.* a DECie) once tried > refered to "DEC Ultrix" as Dirty Tricks, but I never heard that one take > off/be repeated outside of ZKO. > > For history we probably should try to collect them, although I fear the > context of the joke in the future may be lost. > > > Clem > ᐧ >