s/be far/be fair/ Sorry, Grammerly rewrote that and I missed it with my dyslexia. ᐧ ᐧ On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 11:45 AM Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 10:46 AM Norman Wilson wrote: > >> Steve Jenkin: >> >> I've never heard of a Computer Science or Software Engineering program >> that included a `case study' component, especially for Software >> Development & Projects. >> >> [...] >> >> How about the course for which John Lions wrote his famous >> exegesis of the 6/e kernel? >> >> Norman Wilson >> Toronto ON > > This >>might<< be far from an OS >>developer<< perspective [*i.e*., for a > practitioner of SW development for an OS]. However, I'm quite sure it is > the same thing. In Lion's case, he looks at the code and final system in > the same manner to examine the technical output/result (a complete > timesharing system than in "modest HW", that a single person could > understand as it was less than 9000 KLOCs). This is like an architecture > class might take apart drawings of Notre Dame Cathedral to examine how the > structure was developed to carry such huge loads of stone, wood, and lead > but still allow so much light in the building (such as the class on my CMU > roommates who became a restoration architect for buildings like 30th Street > Station in Philadelphia). Case studies (which originated at HSB and are > now de rigor in most B-schools) look at the choices made, given a set of > initial conditions to create a (business) result [positively and > negatively]. What could be learned from the conditions, choices, and > results so that feature (business) leaders can recognize what might not be > obvious? The idea is that you are teaching managers about choices > that change/predict a future outcome. This is not the same as field > practitioners trying to make a structure/machine/program to >>operate<< to > do some design function. > > So, the place where a case study for SW projects (using books like > Mythical Man Month) would be helpful is an in-software engineering course. > Writing an HSB style case for something like UNIX, or Tenex or maybe > Oracle; particularly to compared to something like Brook's book would be > fascinating to read, I'm not sure Lion's text qualifies. I think the > content of such a "case" would be quite different. > > Again, it comes back to what "success" is. If success is defined as > winning the market, OS/360 was a huge success, as was DOS. But neither > would I consider a success from the standpoint of building something that > future generations of programmers would want to learn to emulate. > ᐧ > ᐧ >