FWIW: Before TOPS, there was MIT's CTSS. The DEC Project, Programmer Number (a.k.a. PPN) idea seems to have been similar to the People and *Problem Number* idea of CTSS, which allowed for directories of your own files and as well as your group (shared problem number). As Rodrigo pointed out Multics also had a form of ACLs (UNIX used ACL's just very simplified ones). So I'm not sure where to pin this specific idea. I think it was a bit like a lot of CS ideas, different people were playing with different aspects of different ideas at the time, and brillance of Ken and Dennis was putting some of the *best ideas *of the day *together* and adding a few of their own into a simple implementation that was good enough to do real work. Clem On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 1:29 PM Arthur Krewat wrote: > On 7/31/2019 12:49 PM, Rodrigo G. López wrote: > > Multics had modes per file (https://multicians.org/fjcc4.html) but i > > don't know about the origins. the simpler approach of > > owner/group/other is a purely Unix creation and i would bet Ken > > Thompson is behind it all. > > TOPS-10 had a 3 octal digit file protection code: > > - - Logins are PPNs - [Project, > Programmer] - So if I was [76,5], another user with [76,10] was in the > same project. Much like UNIX groups. > > Owner Protection Codes > 7*, 6* - You can execute, read, or change the protection code of the file. > 5* - You have unlimited access to the file, except for renaming it. > 4* - You have unlimited access to the file. > 3 - You can execute, read, or change the protection code of the file. > 2 - You have unlimited access to the file, except for renaming it. > 1, 0 - You have unlimited access. > * The File Daemon is called on a protection failure on this file (my > memory is a little fuzzy on this, but I believe it allowed finer grained > protections). > > Protection Codes for Fields 2 and 3 > 7 - The user cannot access the file. > 6 - The user can only execute the file. > 5 - The user can execute or read the file. > 4 - The user can execute, read, or append to the file. > 3 - The user can execute, read, append to, or update the file. > 2 - The user can execute, read, append to, update, and write to the file. > 1 - The user can execute, read, append to, update, write to, and rename > the file. > 0 - Unlimited access, including changing the protection code of the file. > > The name TOPS-10 was first used in 1970, but the monitor itself dates > back to 1964. I'm not sure when these protection codes came into being, > though. >