The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
To: ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>
Cc: TUHS main list <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] whereis command
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 12:54:07 -0400	[thread overview]

I don't trust my dates for that tape BTW.   I'm pretty sure we got it in
early 79, so I clearly rewrote it at some point if the dates show later --
although it might be a copy from Tektronix - which would match that date.
Again my memory is that 1BSD and 2BSD are all a little different.  They
were written as needed and sent out, although I think they wrote them a few
at a time.  But my tape from CMU is likely to be different from one that
says went to Harvard which was different from what went to Purdue or MIT.

As for when whereis got put into SCCS control, I'm not sure.  Take a peak
at Kirk's archives.

Clem