There were a number of them. As others have meantioned, the TGV folks did one, there were a number of tools from DECUS, and even DEC actually released more and more UNIX into VMS themselves. I used to carry a mag tape with vi, the shell and few basic tools that allowed me to edit things on VMS if I had to deal with it. The biggest issue was TCP/IP, since DECnet was the only networking for a such a long time from DEC. Stan Smith and I wrote the original VAX IP/TCP support for Tektronix in 1979, in BLISS and some small amount of VAX assembler. My friends (former coworkers) @ CMU took this back in and enhanced it (the CMU folks did a huge amount of work on the mail interface). IIRC I sent the tape to Danny Klein, but it might have been someone else. I have the code from the CMU's update of our work on 9-track tape, but I think it eventually also may have gone out on a DECUS tape. But I do know that this code base would make its way to DEC, where CJ and Wayne would take it to become the code base that started OpenVMS's version [CJ once told me he was impressed at how little they had to rewrite it, mostly removing some Vaxism's - Stan and I were not worried about portability, we just wanted something to talk correctly to the UNIX V7 TCP from 3COM (UNET) and the TCP we had written from the Cyber NOS]. Clem On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:56 PM Nigel Williams < nw@retrocomputingtasmania.com> wrote: > >> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019, ron@ronnatalie.com wrote: > >> > (PDP-11, 386) and also there “UNIX running under VMS” product. > > Was there only three UNIX on VMS (or under...) options? > > Eunice: > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunice_(software) > > "phi"-nix: A Unix Emulator for VAX/VMS: > > https://scholarship.rice.edu/bitstream/handle/1911/101549/TR82-08.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y > > ISC's IS/1-WB Work Bench for VMS (UNIX Tools only?) >