IIRC is how UNET worked for V7. FWIW: UNE T was the original product from 3COM and somewhere I have the package with the Postmark as the 32nd of December - because 3Com had a requirement to ship by the end of the year to their VCs. At the last hours, Greg Shaw and Bruce Borden ran into a problem, so it shipped a day late [they obviously got their money]. Clem ᐧ On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 11:17 AM Noel Chiappa wrote: > > From: Clem Cole > > > This is why I suggested that if you really want telnet and ftp to the > > PDP-11, you might be better off moving the networking stack out of > the > > kernel > > Really, the answer is that I need to get off my @ss and put the MIT V6+ > system > up (I have all the files, just need to get a round tuit). > > > It has TCP/IP, but is it not all crammed into the kernel. And unlike the > early > BBN V6, it doesn't do TCP as a single process to which all the other > client/server processes talk via IPC. > > Instead, the only thing in the kernel is inbound demuxing, and minimal > outbound > processing. (IIRC, outbound packets are copied into kernel buffers; an > earlier > version of the networking interface driver actually did do inbound and > outbound > DMA directly from buffers in the user's process, but only one process > could use > the network interface at a time.) > > The TCP code was a library that was built into the user process which did > the > server/client applications. (The servers which supported login, like FTP, > needed to run as root, like the ordinary login, setuid'ing to the entered > user-id.) I don't remember if we supported server Telnet, but I think we > did. So we must have added PTY's of some sort, I'll have to check. > > Since the TCP was in the user process, we actually had a couple of > different > ones, depending on the application. Dave Clark had done a quick-n-dirty > TCP on > the Alto (in BCPL) which was only good for things like user Telnet, not for > applications that sent a lot of data. We ported that one for the first > TCP; we > later did a 'high-speed bulk data' TCP, used for FTP, etc. I don't remember > which one SMTP used. > > The whole thing worked _really_ well. Alas, I don't think anyone else > picked > up on it. > > > The kernel code is not that large, it should even run on a /40, without > overlays (although the number of disk buffers would probably get hit). And > since the TCP is in user processes, it could all get swapped out, so it > would > run OK on machines without that much physical memory. > > The issue is going to be that it will need a new network interface driver, > since I think the only driver ever done for it was for Pronet. And now we > get > back to the 'what interfaces are available' question. Doing a DEC driver > would > allow use of DEQNA's and DELQA's on QBUS machines, which would be optimal, > since they are common. And people could bring up Unix with TCP/IP on > -11/23's. > > But we'd have to add ARP (which I would do as a process, with only the > IP->Ether address mapping table stored in the kernel). I wrote a really > nice > ARP for the C Gateway that could easily be used for that. > > Noel >