The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: clemc@ccc.com (Clem Cole)
Subject: [TUHS] SYSTEM V R1 HELP
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:30:50 -0500	[thread overview]

Bill, in the debugger, for both cpio and tar, follow the string ptrs in
fprintf and see if you can figure out where its dying.  Also see what value
errno is, hopefully it has not been lost.  Neither program should be using
printf except for messages to the console, so I'm guessing this is an error
message trying to be output from an error the kernel returned.   See if you
can find the message from cpio/tar and the error code and that might give
you a hint to look in the kernel.

Could you be running out of open files, maybe.

Another thing to try, is:  cd /
find . -print
​ > /tmp/file.lst
cpio -ocvB > /dev/null
​ < /tmp/file.lst

See if that changes anything.   It should remove some of pressure on the
kernel tables.

​Clem​

​
ᐧ