A troff version does exist - as I recall it was Ian J that recovered that. I’ll go poking later when I have a real computer not my mobile. The actual nroff version that ‘typeset’ for Printronix 300 printer that John used may or may not be. It was done pre-make(1) so it was v6 script. While you can find a pdf of troffed version in the wild, I recommend getting the bound version from Amazon these days. I believe care was made to ensure it lined up exactly like the original - although T is bound as one volume not two. Like Rich, my nth generation copy of the original is quite faded and more difficult to read On Wed, Jul 5, 2023 at 12:11 PM segaloco via TUHS wrote: > I think this is a great community engagement activity. That said, can't > do the printing myself. I'll throw myself out there as a potential > customer though, I have the print version they did many many years later > but it'd be cool to have one of the samizdat copies. To whoever does speak > for this and start producing volumes, you've got your first customer! > > - Matt G. > > P.S. Are the typesetter sources for the commentary preserved anywhere? > The typesetting style is very, very much like a small Bell System Teletype > 28 training course document that I want to see about recreating as sources, > might be able to take some pointers from the commentary. > ------- Original Message ------- > On Wednesday, July 5th, 2023 at 7:01 AM, Rich Salz > wrote: > > I have a copy of Lions's "A Commentary on the UNIX Operating System" It is > an n-th generation photocopy that I've had for some number of decades. It > also has the source code, as I guess all of those copies did back in the > day. I could just recycle the paper -- it's yellowed with age -- but I'd > rather pay it forward and ship it to someone who promises to make copies > for others who want it. This is also on bitsavers, so you're only doing > this to preserve the sense of history in passing photocopies around. > > I'll take bids on how many copies you'll provide. I'll post the winning > bid (without their address), so that the community can pressureXXXXXX > ensure they meet their commitment. I'll send it out by the end of the week. > > I will give preference to US/Canada domestic addresses since that is > easier for me. How much preference is left to my discretion. :) > > I hope this doesn't make me sound like a jerk; it's intended to be > lighthearted community service. > > > -- Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual