On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Arthur Krewat wrote: > I have a C compiler for TOPS-10 that I got off the Internet back in 1988. > Still haven't messed around with it enough to get it to run, but ... > > ​There was a PDP-10 C compiler in the late 1970s, that was kicking around CMU, MIT and Stanford which we used to write backup10 and ​and an implementation of tar. IIRC, it was based on the the Ritchie front end and was V6 in syntax (i.e. pre-V7 or typesetter C - aka 'White Book). I've forgotten the rules of chars, but I remember you had to be careful. I think it was 4 9-bit chars to transfer things (4*9=36 bits), but I think I remember there were cases on output that it wanted to wash it through a 7-bit PDP-10 char (5*7+1 =36bits) which was the 'norm' for most languages like SAIL, BLISS et al. I did not mess with much, but that time, I was transitioning from the 10's to UNIX by that time. I added support for the -20's dumper tapes to backup10 which were almost but not quite the same. But that was the last I messed with it. Mike Accetta and Fil Aliva (of CMU Mach fame) I remember had their had in that subsystem, at one point. And of course Danny Klein is always a good one from those days to ask too. I'll see if I can dig them up and ask. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: