Dan/Branden -- don't forget that IBM had a flavor of the runoff family also at least by the early 1970s when I saw it. In fact, I learned it before either the DEC ones for the PDP-10s which I saw next, and only after that the UNIX family. We ran the IBM doc tool on TSS [often of 2741 style devices], and I think it ran on MTS. Pre-laser printer days, although CS an XGP, it was only 200 dpi (and was on the PDP-10s). So CMU computer center (IBM shop) even had a very high end printer with a golf ball (serial) output device that was in a locked room that was connected the 360 that they used to print 'special' letters on a fan folded paper that was super high quality and then run through the 'burster' to remove the edges and make it single sheets [Acceptance letters and other special things got printed on it by the computer center for the administration]. I don't remember much about that part of the process, other than the input/prep was from the IBM version of a runoff like program and as an operator, we had to learn to make it go and run things out on it as needed. But I do remember it was a PITA to output to that thing, but the SW also worked on a traditional 2741. As a member of the computer staff I had access to the 2741 in my office (for APL work), but could set it up as a standard 2741 and type papers on it late at night. On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 1:42 PM Dan Halbert wrote: > On 1/12/22 13:06, G. Branden Robinson wrote: > > Hi, Dan, > > > > At 2022-01-12T11:33:35-0500, Dan Cross wrote: > >> I have some questions about the earlier history. > >> > >> I've been collecting a detailed narrative history not just of the *roff > >> _programs_ but also of the development on the language in the roff(7) > >> manual page. Below I'll share a current chunk of it that is planned for > >> the next release (groff 1.23). It has been heavily revised since > >> groff 1.22.4. Many of my revisions have been motivated by accounts from > >> this list, from the "history of man pages" (more of a history of troff) > >> at manpages.bsd.lv, and the minnie TUHS archive. > > I used RUNOFF on TOPS-10 in 1971, I think, and eventually also on TENEX > and TOPS-20. It probably was available earlier than that. Your history > is covering the Unix side, but there is also a pretty robust DEC side. > It was available on pretty much all the DEC machines. > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TYPSET_and_RUNOFF has some mentions. > > Dan H. >