On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 6:33 AM wrote: > Ed Bradford wrote: > > > I've forgotten who created stdio, USG or the research group. Can any of > the > > youthful BTL folks of the 1970's refresh my mind. > > It was part of V7. I think DMR gets most of the credit. At this risk of putting too fine a point on it, the stdio library was released in the wild before V7 or UNIX/TS *et al.* To answer Ed's question, it came out of Research, but first as part of the typesetter support - *i.e.* 'Typesetter C', which was on V6 and PWB 1.0 [the new troff replacement was being written by Brian] . The C Language and associated libraries in the 'Typesetter C' release maps to the compiler described in the original K&R book. Dennis explains this in his paper: The Development of the C Language . *"Lesk wrote a `portable I/O package' [Lesk 72] that was later reworked to become the C `standard I/O' routines. In 1978 Brian Kernighan and I published The C Programming Language [Kernighan 78]. "* I have the Lesk paper, as PDF (which I have not idea where I obtained). I did a quick google search and could not find it for download, so if you are interested, send me an e-mail offline and I'll pass you a copy. I've forgotten when 'enum' and 'void' got added (which are not in the white book - Steve Johnson or Doug may remember). But, I think they were in the V7 compiler, and not Typesetter C. Clem