Certainly fd 2 as a error output appears with Lesk's portable C library, which was included in V6 - see the last para on page 1 of his document: "Initially you are given three file descriptors by the system: 0, 1, and 2. File 0 is the standard input; it is normally the teletype in time-sharing or input data cards in batch. File 1 is the standard output; it is nor- mally the teletype in time-sharing or the line printer in batch. File 2 is the error file; it is an output file, nor- mally the same as file 1, except that when file 1 is diverted via a command line ’>’ operator, file 2 remains attached to the original destination, usually the terminal. It is used for error message output. These popular UNIX conventions are considered part of the C library specification. By closing 0 or 1, the default input or output may be re-directed; this can also be done on the command line by >file for output or wrote: > I am trying to remember when fd 2 (aka stderr) became a thing. I have a > vague memory that it was post-v6 but that may be way off. > > >