PC/IX ᐧ On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 11:32 AM Mary Ann Horton wrote: > I recall having an IBM PC port of UNIX in the 1980s on floppy with a black > 6x9 box and Charlie Chaplin with the red rose. I thought it was called AIX. > I installed it, and recall it being very different from UNIX for sysadmin > (different logs, different admin commands) but similar for users. I thought > it was based on System III or thereabouts. > > I can't find any evidence of this. It appears AIX 1.0 wasn't for the > original PC. > > Does anyone else recall this distribution and what it was called or based > on? > > Thanks, > > Mary Ann > On 5/1/22 19:08, Kenneth Goodwin wrote: > > My understanding of AIX was that IBM licensed the System V source code and > then proceeded to "make it their own". I had a days experience with it on a > POS cash register fixing a client issue. The shocker - they changed all the > error messages to error codes with a look at the manual requirement. > > Not sure if this is true in its entirety or not. > But that's what I recall, thst it was not a from scratch rewrite but more > along the lines of other vendor UNIX clones of the time. > License the source, change the name and then beat it to death. > > On Sun, May 1, 2022, 2:08 PM ron minnich wrote: > >> in terms of rewrites from manuals, while it was not the first, as I >> understand it, AIX was an example of "read the manual, write the >> code." >> >> Unlike Coherent, it had lots of cases of things not done quite right. >> One standout in my mind was mkdir -p, which would return an error if >> the full path existed. oops. >> >> But it was pointed out to me that Condor had all kinds of code to >> handle AIX being different from just about everything else. >> >> >>