On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 3:44 PM Diomidis Spinellis wrote: > Was I misled? Was there perhaps a hacked version of vi that worked in this > way? > I think you may be mixing a few stories ... and features ... v6 vs v7 PDP-11 vs Vax much less vi vs emacs. Some thoughts ... 1.) Emacs came from CMU and only a few years later after the Vax had was stable (post 4.1BSD) 2.) emacs was not so much prohibited as it was slow, it needed megabytes of memory -- that was limit. 3.) By the time emacs comes on the scene, workstations are showing up, so you did not have 20 students on a vax to UCB. 4.) Raw mode was a V6 feature for PDP-11, by the time of the Vax the TTY was using V7 using CBREAK (1/2 cooked) which still allows canonicalization ᐧ