On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 11:51 AM Larry McVoy wrote: > I think it is less of an issue today but if I were still supporting a multi > platform product, I'd still insist on it. > Yep, and it's so easy to do. It's just a discipline. @Adam I helped create POSIX, so I get it. But Larry nailed it. It is just cheaper and easier to be disciplined and stick with Bourne for your scripts. *Teach your people the skills and you save time and money in the long run.* It's that simple. As Larry says, you never know and the problem is - when it happens, it tends to happen on a short leash. If you have been disciplined, it's a non-problem. It's really not that hard to use the V7 syntax. Everything you want/need to do is there. BTW: At Intel, a couple of years back (less than 3-5 years ago) we had a site where we needed things to work on a specific target that was, shall we say 'a bit custom' - V7 syntax was just fine for the installer - boy folks were happy a few of us had been on their case to get rid of the bashism the Millenials had tried to add (I'm not really sure POSIX.2 would have been good enough -- maybe - but Bourne was fine]. FWIW: In my start-up times, under the same rules of being disciplined, as VP of Engineering, I insisted, all C and C++ code was required to 'flex-e-lint' warning clean. I gave my folks a 3-week week slip to clean everything up. I was cursed during that time. But guess what, the outstanding bug list dropped to ⅒ of what it had been. Created quite a few true believers. And we made those 3 weeks back before we were done. Clem ᐧ