Arnold -- sounds fun. Thank you!!! I'll add it to my growing pile of things I want to play with at some point. I too had a wonderful childhood experience with the SW tools. Somebody had a number of them running on a VMS box when all we had was the VMS Fortran compiler, no C yet. I am curious why did you decide to use byacc? I would have thought in a desire to modernize and make it more available on a modern system -- was there something in byacc that could not be done easily in bison? To be honest, I had thought Robert Corbett did them both and bison was the successor to byacc, but I'm not a compiler guy - so I'm suspecting that there must be a difference/reason. As I said, this is purely curiosity -- an educational opportunity. Thanks again, Clem ᐧ On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 3:41 PM Arnold Robbins wrote: > Hi All. > > Mainly for fun (sic), I decided to revive the Ratfor (Rational > Fortran) preprocessor. Please see: > > https://github.com/arnoldrobbins/ratfor > > I started with the V6 code, then added the V7, V8 and V10 versions > on top of it. Each one has its own branch so that you can look > at the original code, if you wish. The man page and the paper from > the V7 manual are also included. > > Starting with the Tenth Edition version, I set about to modernize > the code and get it to compile and run on a modern-day system. > (ANSI style declarations and function headers, modern include files, > use of getopt, and most importantly, correct use of Yacc yyval and > yylval variables.) > > You will need Berkely Yacc installed as byacc in order to build it. > > I have only touch-tested it, but so far it seems OK. 'make' runs in like 2 > seconds, really quick. On my Ubuntu Linux systems, it compiles with > no warnings. > > I hope to eventually add a test suite also, if I can steal some time. > > Before anyone asks, no, I don't think anybody today has any real use > for it. This was simply "for fun", and because Ratfor has a soft > spot in my heart. "Software Tools" was, for me, the most influential > programming book that I ever read. I don't think there's a better > book to convey the "zen" of Unix. > > Thanks, > > Arnold >