The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Origin of the MOTD file?
@ 2018-03-15 15:29 Dan Cross
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dan Cross @ 2018-03-15 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

One of the things that's always fascinated me about Unix is the community
aspect; in particular, I imagine that in the early days when machines were
multiplexed among many simultaneous users, I wonder whether there was a
greater sense of knowing what others were up to, working on, or generally
doing.

I think of the /etc/motd file as being a part of this. It is, in some very
real sense, a way to announce things to the entire user community.

So what are its origins? Where did it first appear? I haven't dug into
this, but I imagine it was at Berkeley. What was it used for early on at
individual sites?

        - Dan C.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Origin of the MOTD file?
@ 2018-03-15 20:00 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2018-03-15 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So what are its origins? Where did it first appear?

It was a direct copy from CTSS, which already had it
n 1965 when we BTL folk began to use it.

The greatest MOTD story of all time happened at CTSS.

To set the stage, the CTSS editor made a temp file,
always of the same name, in one's home directory.
The MOTD was posted by the administrator account.

The password file was plain text, maintained by
editing it.

And multiple people had access to the administrator
account.

It happened one day that one administrator was
working on the password file at the same time
another was posting MOTD. The result: the password
file (probably the most secret file on the system)
got posted as the MOTD (the most public).

Upon seeing the password file type out before him,
an alert user shut the machine down by writing
and running one line of assembly code:

	HERE	TRA *HERE

(The star is for indirect addressing, and indirection
was transitive.)

Doug