On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 2:11 PM Norman Wilson wrote: > Manual entries, as printed by man and once upon a time in > the Programmers' Manual Volume 1, should be concise references. > They are not a place for tutorials or long-winded descriptions > or even long lists of hundreds of options (let alone descriptions > of why the developer thinks this is the neatest thing since > sliced bread and what bread he had in his sandwiches that day). > > For many programs, one or two pages of concise reference is > all the documentation that's needed; no one needs a ten-page > tutorial on how to use cat or rm or ls, for example. But some > programs really do deserve a longer treatment, either a tutorial > or an extended reference with more detail or both. Those belong > in separate documents, and are why the Programmers' Manual had > a second volume. > > Nowadays people think nothing of writing 68-page-long manual > entries (real example from something I'm working with right now) > that are long, chatty lists of options or configuration-file > directives with tutorial information interspersed. The result > makes the developer feel good--look at all the documentation > I've written!!--but it's useless for someone trying to figure > out how to write a configuration file for the first time, and > not so great even for someone trying to edit an existing one. > > Even the Research system didn't always get this right; some > manual entries ran on and on and on when what was really > needed was a concise list of something and a longer accompanying > document. (The Tenth Edition manual was much better about > that, mostly because of all the work Doug put in. I doubt > there has ever been a better editor for technical text than > Doug.) But it's far worse now in most systems, because > there's rarely any editor at all; the manuals are just an > accreted clump. > > And that's a shame, though I have no suggestions on how > to fix it. > > +1