The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: clemc@ccc.com (Clem Cole)
Subject: [TUHS] Package Management
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 12:06:00 -0500	[thread overview]

Hmmm - I suspect is depends on what you call package & installation
management.  My guess is that all of the UNIX systems had something that
were made from people that were birthed on DEC systems.   Certainly,
Masscomp's RTU had something very much like VMS's scheme - why because the
same person designed/influenced/implemented both of them (Tom Kent).    My
guess is that SunOS, Apollo/Domain et al were similar - as at least they
knew the importance of same.

The problem I have with the question is that the managers we have today are
much different than the managers we had then.   Even things as simple as
BSD's pkg_add is different from RPM much less yum, apt or brew compared to
the (shutter) setld (DEC's my least favorite).

Clem