On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 4:49 PM Michael Casadevall wrote: > > There are SCCS references in the code from 78/79, references to the V7 CC > compiler and updates. > The 'V7 compiler' is 'Typesetter C' - it was released two compiler DWB on V6. SCCS had a interesting life. > SCCS was introduced publicly with PWB, > Indeed. > which is why I suspect it might have been used. > It might have been at MIT (it was a UCB and CMU BTW) - but I believe Al Nemeth - while it might have been a person disk, -- I'm pretty sure BBN would have tried to kept those bits out of the building. - certainly out of the mainstream of any project -- you see in the directories foo.c and foo.c~ files -- this was typical of the day. If you were using SCCS less you would see a lot more evidence in the trees (again look at the UCB trees - you can see once Ken brought it to UCB, wnj started to use it). > The code also uses some C syntax the stock compiler dislikes > (specifically, it was unhappy register in the function declaration). > As I said -- I suspect the typesetter compiler by then. If userspace code is using and linking libS.a not Mike Lesk's portable I/O library that's a huge clue also BTW. But Dennis did a lot of work to the compiler in the DWB timeframe. A number of language features were added, he changed the syntax of things like =+ to += and the like. This is why code that targets the Typesetter C compiler has a very difficult time going back to the V6 (or basic PWB 1.0) compilers. As I said in the other message, this was the compiler he and Brian describe in the book - also note a couple of us here reviewed different editions of it. I suspect what you need is the original DWB 1.0 release that includes the 'typesetter' compiler -- that will bootstrap on a V6 system and will create a v6 compiler. I'm not sure we have that in the archives. I think we have the later PWB 2.0 release - that comes without the compiler. Beside the startup code (which is in mch.c and uses a preprocessor macro), > is there anything specific gotchas in regards to models? I tried building > CPU40 and CPU70, and configuring simh, just to eliminate that gotcha, but > the only difference seems to be early initialization code ... > Quick glance is that BBN was running a 45 - so I'd build for that to start. 45s and 70s's are more similar but not exactly the same. Don't build for a 40. They are quite different. Set simh up as a 45 and see if that just works. If not .... then I would drop back and pull everything out to as simple a UNIX as possible... since it's a v6 system without any of the networking -- as much line Ken and Dennis as you can. Configure that a 40 and follow Dennis's and Ken's instructions (which for v6 is a a 40) -- get that to boot and a simh based 40. Then reconfigure as a simh based 45 and make that work. Then and only then turn on the BBN stuff. Feel free to send me email off line and I can try to help a little. Note: I have not played with a 45 in years. But I ran V5, V6. and V7 on 40s, 45 and 70s back in the day. I have a PiDP 11/70 behind me so modulo being way to busy, I can try to help a little. ᐧ