BTW: My memory is that Joy did not like them for some reason, probably because they were not as sexy as some of the stuff Accent could do (but that's a guess -- I've forgotten). So with 4.2, Joy created Unix domain sockets. BTW: a slow cache refresh is occurring in my brain ... I remember one of the things that there was a lot of arguing/moaning about at the time was the directionality of such a feature. Bruce's hack from the mid-70s was unidirectional and you needed two pipes to go both ways. On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 4:06 PM Clem Cole wrote: > The first version was from Rand (called "Rand Pipes"). They > certainly were available in the mid-70s on Sixth Edition, you have to ask > someone like Bruce Borden if they were on Fifth. I think the code is on > one of the 'USENIX' tapes in Warren's archives. > > At this point in time, someone would need to refresh my memory of the > details of Rand's implementation compared to what came in the USG systems > in the 1980s. For instance, I believe the early versions used mknod(2) to > create the "named entity." IIRC early USG did that too, and mkfifo(3) > came as part of the POSIX (I have memories of the discussion at a POSIX > meeting, but as I say, I've forgotten the details). > > IIRC there were differences in buffering behavior, flushing, error path > between USG's later versions and the original Rand, but I'd have to stare > at the code again to remember. > > On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 3:42 PM Paul Ruizendaal wrote: > >> The Luderer paper on distributed Unix has the following paragraph: >> >> "A new special UNIX interprocess communication mechanism is the fifo, >> which provides communication between unrelated processes by associating a >> new special file type with a file name. Since remote fifos are legal, they >> can be used for interprocessor communication between S-UNIX machines or >> between an S-UNIX machine and an F-UNIX machine.” >> >> The paper is from late 1981. Maybe I’m especially mud-eyed today, but I >> cannot see FIFO’s implemented in V7..V8 or 4.1xBSD. When did FIFO’s become >> a standard Unix feature? >> >> Paul >> >>