The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] UNESCO's Software Heritage Foundation
@ 2020-06-08 13:10 Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2020-06-08 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I'm seeding this URL to TUHS as one would expect them to be interested in
the work from Warren and friends. FWIW: I tried to browse their archives
and was not impressed (I couldn't find anything).

https://www.softwareheritage.org/

* Re: [TUHS] UNESCO's Software Heritage Foundation
@ 2020-06-08 14:44 ` Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2020-06-08 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 6/8/20 6:10 AM, Clem Cole wrote:
> I'm seeding this URL to TUHS as one would expect them to be interested in the work from Warren and friends. FWIW: I tried to browse their
> archives and was not impressed (I couldn't find anything).
>
> https://www.softwareheritage.org/

Don't diss them too badly. They are good folks,
especially with how they are dealing with archiving and deduping almost-identical
source trees.

They stop by CHM every few years.

* Re: [TUHS] UNESCO's Software Heritage Foundation
@ 2020-06-08 14:58   ` David Barto
From: David Barto @ 2020-06-08 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

As a quick look, I entered ‘unix’ to the search bar. 8^)

In the list was a UNIX_V6PP. A quick browse it looked like a (not very good IMO) c++ rewrite of the v6 kernel for the x86 processor.

	David

https://archive.softwareheritage.org/browse/origin/directory/?origin_url=https://github.com/lonway/UNIX_V6PP&path=UNIX_V6%2B%2B

@ 2020-06-08 15:14   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2020-06-08 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Kossow; +Cc: TUHS main list

Al, I'm not diss them or their efforts, just I wanted to know who they
were.
This is the first I had heard of them,  I am, however, dissing the web site
which I could not figure out how to use.

@ 2020-06-08 16:06 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2020-06-08 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Clem Cole wrote:
> I'm seeding this URL to TUHS as one would expect them to be interested
> in the work from Warren and friends. FWIW: I tried to browse their
> archives and was not impressed (I couldn't find anything).

They seem to have scraped GitHub, so they backed up everything I put
there.  Thanks guys.

* Re: [TUHS] UNESCO's Software Heritage Foundation
@ 2020-06-08 16:20   ` Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2020-06-08 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 6/8/20 9:06 AM, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Clem Cole wrote:
>> I'm seeding this URL to TUHS as one would expect them to be interested
>> in the work from Warren and friends. FWIW: I tried to browse their
>> archives and was not impressed (I couldn't find anything).
>
> They seem to have scraped GitHub, so they backed up everything I put
> there.  Thanks guys.

They are trying to archive and de-dup EVERYTHING that is open-source.

Unix is more difficult, because of the encumbrances.

https://www.softwareheritage.org/2019/06/06/announcing-the-software-heritage-graph-dataset/

* Re: [TUHS] UNESCO's Software Heritage Foundation
@ 2020-06-08 18:21     ` Nemo Nusquam
From: Nemo Nusquam @ 2020-06-08 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 06/08/20 11:14, Clem Cole wrote:
> Al, I'm not diss them or their efforts, just I wanted to know who they
> were.
> This is the first I had heard of them,  I am, however, dissing the web
> site which I could not figure out how to use.
I have surfed there over the years but I have always found their UI
nothing short of terrible. They have archived over 126 million projects
but my search queries return little and their browsing i/f seems
non-existant.

N.