The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Two BSD Additions to the Unix Archive
@ 2019-12-03 19:26 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2019-12-03 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

All, we have a couple of new BSD-related additions to the Unix Archive.

Steven Schulz has made an installation tape of 2.11BSD which includes
all the patches up to patch level 457. It's available at:
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD_patch457/

Mike Haertel has done a great job of reconstructing the September 1, 1981
release of 4.1BSD. His work is now available at:
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/4.1BSD-19810901-reconstructed/

Cheers & thanks to both Steven and Mike,
	Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Two BSD Additions to the Unix Archive
@ 2019-12-03 19:52 ` Henry Bent
From: Henry Bent @ 2019-12-03 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 14:26, Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:

> All, we have a couple of new BSD-related additions to the Unix Archive.
>
> Steven Schulz has made an installation tape of 2.11BSD which includes
> all the patches up to patch level 457. It's available at:
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD_patch457/
>
> Mike Haertel has done a great job of reconstructing the September 1, 1981
> release of 4.1BSD. His work is now available at:
>
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/4.1BSD-19810901-reconstructed/
>
> Cheers & thanks to both Steven and Mike,
>         Warren

This is really great work, and I'm so glad that it's being done.  The
4.1BSD reconstruction especially is very well documented.

-Henry

* Re: [TUHS] Two BSD Additions to the Unix Archive
@ 2019-12-03 21:42   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-12-03 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Bent; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Indeed --  excellent work.

@ 2019-12-15 15:54 ` Jacob Ritorto
From: Jacob Ritorto @ 2019-12-15 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Many thanks for putting this together,  Steven and Mike!

Since I'm still running real hardware, do you think you could also
post the actual 2.11bsd files to the archive? -- i.e. boot, disklabel,
mkfs, restor, icheck, root.dump, and the three tarballs?

I'm having quite an expenditure here trying to disassemble the .tap file..

thx
jake

* Re: [TUHS] Two BSD Additions to the Unix Archive
@ 2019-12-15 16:35   ` Henry Bent
From: Henry Bent @ 2019-12-15 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Ritorto; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 at 10:56, Jacob Ritorto <jacob.ritorto@gmail.com> wrote:

> Many thanks for putting this together,  Steven and Mike!
>
> Since I'm still running real hardware, do you think you could also
> post the actual 2.11bsd files to the archive? -- i.e. boot, disklabel,
> mkfs, restor, icheck, root.dump, and the three tarballs?
>
> I'm having quite an expenditure here trying to disassemble the .tap file..

I agree that it makes sense to post the source files.  In the meantime,
rawtap ( https://github.com/simh/simtools/tree/master/extracters/rawtap )
does what you want; "rawtap -e tape0" will extract the individual files
from that 2.11BSD tape image.

-Henry

* Re: [TUHS] Two BSD Additions to the Unix Archive
@ 2019-12-15 16:55     ` Jacob Ritorto
From: Jacob Ritorto @ 2019-12-15 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Bent; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Henry Bent, you saved our weekend!  rawtap works like a charm!  Thanks so much!