Ted point taken. As I was driving home tonight I thought about both DCE and UUIDs. The later is clearly important and we do owe the guys in Chelmsford a great thank you for that one. But the registry ... really now. On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 6:00 PM Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote: > On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 05:36:57PM -0500, Clem Cole wrote: > > > A lot of what we take for granted today in distributed computing came > via > > > Apollo more than anywhere else, as Apollo users and alumni took what > they > > > learned to other systems. > > > > Anyway, we (as a community) are better for having that system but other > > than the registry, I can think of little actual technology that we > continue > > to use from Aegis. > > The OSF/DCE's RPC system came from Apollo, as does the predecessor for > the UUID layout still in use today (RFC 4122). Paul Leach brought > both to the OSF, and as the Kerberos V5 Tech Lead, I worked with Paul, > and used an early Internet-Draft spec of the OSF UUID and implemented > it in e2fsprogs for labelling ext2/3/4 superblocks, and from there the > infection vector spread to the GNOME project. When Paul brought both > of those technologies to Microsoft when he went there after OSF went > belly up. > > - Ted > -- Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual