PS I should probably add a small PS on the timeline. I got the vcat stuff from Ferin when I was still at Tektronix [where we had the two other members of the three 'Graphics Killer-Bs' -- Kelly Booth and the late John Beatty working with us in TekLabs during sabbaticals]. This was 2 years before I headed down to UCB myself. ᐧ On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 3:11 PM Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 2:17 PM segaloco via TUHS wrote: > >> Hello, I've just today secured purchase of an original 4BSD manual and >> papers set and a copy of what I believe is the V6 papers set as well. Of >> note amongst the tabs I could read from the pictures of the Berkeley binder >> was a section of fonts that I don't think I've seen before named the >> Berkeley Font Catalog. I did a bit of searching around and didn't find >> anything matching that on first inspection re: scanned and source-available >> BSD doc collections. Anyone got the scoop on this? >> > Sure > > The Berkeley Font Catalog was a collection of 200 bpi fonts that could be > used with vcat - the virtual CAT/4 typesetter and old tools like some of > the original EE cad editors like Ken Keller's and another from Tom Ferrin > at UCSF. The bulk of them was a copy of the Hershey Fonts [ > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hershey_fonts] and a number of fonts > specialty fonts, such as a set for typing chess, that had been developed > originally for the XGP at CMU, MIT, and Stanford. Between the 3 ARPAnet > sites, there was a lot of mixing and matching. Note: I should have a Xerox > copy of them from one of the UCB docs in my files. They are on a BSD tape, > I would look in the contributed area, but I don't remember. There is > likely troff input to print the catalog (using vcat), but again I am trying > to remember where any of that was in the distribution kits. > > FWIW: a few months back, Rob has corrected the history that the original > vcat(1) was Canadian in origin. I thought that Ferrin had his hand in an > early version that came to UCB (This is likely an example of the side > comment sometimes used, that joy peed on it to make things smell like UCB, > as Tom was across the bay). I also thought Tom had collected much of the > catalog originally; and while I could be smoking something here -- I seem > to remember that he also had some sort of Stanford connection with some of > his graphics work [the UCSF and Stanford medical schools - were doing 3D > graphics for medical diags at some point]. Tom was a graphics guy, and I > know he was mixed up in some of that so it would have made sense for him to > be somehow involved. It was not for a few years later, when Barskey showed > up at UCB that there was any serious graphics work being done -- before > that, only ECAD tools like's Ken and later Oster's. > > Clem > ᐧ >