I need to get a keyboard who keys don't stick.... sigh.... Clem ᐧ On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Clem Cole wrote: > I guess my take on it is mixed. I see some of his points but over all I > disagree with most of them. I firmly believe if you look at anything long > enough you will find flaws. There is no perfect. I think Fortran, C, > even Algol are credits for more what people were able to think about at the > time and how well they lasted. As I have said in other places, Fortran is > not going away. Clem Cole's answer is the Future of Fortran Programming > Dead > also > applies to C. It's just not broken and he's wrong. Go, Rust *et al* > is not going to magically overtake C, just as Fortran as not been displaced > in my lifetime (BTW, I >>like<< both Go and Rust and think they are > interesting new languages). He thinks C is not long a low level language > because when Ken abstracted the PDP-7 into B and then Dennis abstracted the > PDP-11 into C, the systems were simple. The HW designers are in a giant > fake out at this point, so things that used to work like 'register' no > longer make sense. Now its the compiler that binds to the primitives > available to the functions under the covers and there is more to use than > the PDP-11 and PDP-7 offered. But wait, that is not always true. So I > think he's wrong. I think you leave the language alone and if the HW > moves on great. But if we have a simple system like you have on the Amtel > chips that most Arduino's and lots of other embedded C programs use, C is > very low level and most his arguments go away. > > Cken > ᐧ >