And I left out the whole X.500 DAP which begat ??UMich's I think? LDAP - which was mid to late 1980s. ᐧ On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:02 AM Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 7:35 PM Dan Cross wrote: > >> Spurred by the recent discussion of NIS, NIS+, LDAP et al, I'm curious >> what the landscape was like for distributing administrative information in >> early Unix networks. >> >> Specifically I'm thinking about things like the Newcastle Connection, etc. >> >> I imagine that PDP-11's connected to the ARPAnet running Unix would >> (e.g., RFC 681 style) would have adapted the HOSTS.TXT format somehow. What >> about CHAOS? Newcastle? Datakit? >> >> What was the introduction of DNS into the mix like? I can imagine that >> that changed all sorts of assumptions about failure modes and the like. >> >> NIS and playing around with Hesiod are probably the earliest such things >> I ever saw, but I know there must have been prior art. >> >> Supposedly field 5 from /etc/passwd is the GECOS username for remote job >> entry (or printing)? How did that work? >> > > Dan - all good questions, but I think you are mixing a few things (which > is easy to do as they all had different evolutionary paths). > > > - ARPAnet was Rand, UCLA and UofI in the early to mid 70s. > - UCLA line would fork competely with the original Locus work of the > mid 70's, which would reappear later in the 80's post BSD > - IP Networking was done by BBN for 4.1BSD in the late 70s - > originally as an OS independant stack (hence it has its own memory manager > to insulated it from the local S). Besides UNIX I think it went into HP's > MPE and maybe a couple f other systems. > - The BBN IP stack was then repliced into UNIX by UCB/CRSG as 4.1A > with Joy's sockets layer in 82/83 > - HOST.TXT was finaly abandoned and BIND was then done (primarily at > UCB by peed on by many) - I want to say eary 80's the SCCS files might > give you some hints. > - Hesiod was MIT/Athenia and NIS by Sun were later developed somewhat > in the same time frame (mid to late 80s) > - CHAOS was completely seperate, although influenced the BBN code and > was the early/mid 70s. > - BTL's DataKit of course, had the UoI (Chesson) influence was late > 70s. > - Best I can tell Newcastle was complete seperate from all of this > (also late 70s). > > > Clem > ᐧ >