The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Disassembler
@ 2014-09-12 21:10 random832
From: random832 @ 2014-09-12 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know of a good PDP-11 disassembler?

--
Random832

* [TUHS] Disassembler
@ 2014-09-12 21:16 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2014-09-12 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had a TA, Ken Witte, who just did od on the file and read that.  No shit.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 05:10:37PM -0400, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good PDP-11 disassembler?
>
> --
> Random832

---

* [TUHS] Disassembler
@ 2014-09-12 22:07   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2014-09-12 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry,

The original Cray-1 lacks mnemonics - the instructions are octal.  Freaked
me out the first time I saw it.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> I had a TA, Ken Witte, who just did od on the file and read that.  No shit.
>
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 05:10:37PM -0400, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a good PDP-11 disassembler?
> >
> > --
> > Random832
>
> --
> ---
> Larry McVoy                  lm at mcvoy.com
> http://www.mcvoy.com/lm

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Disassembler
@ 2014-09-12 22:17 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2014-09-12 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

The USENIX archives have a number of them.  I've long ago forgotten which
was the best.

I'd recommend that poke around Warren's site.  I also would look at the
Purdue archives as a solid start.  They had the best microprocessor tools
and I know there was a really good disassembler in there for the 8 bit
micros at the time.  You could use them to reverse compile code and put the
symbols back etc..  There was 11 and Vax tools in that mix too.   I seem to
remember there was a good one from Oz - UNSW maybe?  The other place I
would look would be from the Cooper Union folks circa 1980.  Those guys
ported the DEC tools (Macro-11, Librarian, Linker and FTN to V6 & V7) [they
also wrote a PDP-10 simulator to do it since they were all written in
BLISS-10 - amazing project].   Anyway, the CU guys had some cool tools as I
recall, and an disassembler might have been in that mix.

Clem

@ 2014-09-12 22:18     ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2014-09-12 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

When a PDP-11 instruction is dumped in octal, it's pretty easy to read.    The bottom six, nine, or twelve bits are the operand (three bits for addressing mode, three bits for register).
While I'm a bit out of practice these days, I'd certainly read through a few octal dumps like that.

Octal isn't a stretch for the Cray.   Cray was begat by the old CDC mainframes, the last of which was the 7600 (BRL got the LAST 7600 ever built, they held the line open for us.
It wasn't decommisioned until about 1987.    The CDC had a 60 bit word size.

 I somehow to my chagrin got responsible for all the comm gear for that fed the beast.     As we were getting ready to decommission it I had all these "surplus tags" that I was attaching
to all the multiplexors and modems and the like.    I amusingly taped one up on the corner of the main CPU cabinet.    The people running the data center weren't amused.

The room where the 7600 was held received one of the few Denelcor HEP systems (which was designed for BRL).   Mike Muuss's group (of which I was a part), ported UNIX to run
on that beast.     It ran for a short while before it was replaced with a Cray X/MP (one originally slated to go to Apple but we preempted their order).    Right before I left BRL I put my signature
to the Cray 2 procurement.

-Ron

* [TUHS] Disassembler
@ 2014-09-12 22:18   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2014-09-12 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014, Larry McVoy wrote:

> I had a TA, Ken Witte, who just did od on the file and read that.  No
> shit.

Back in my S/360 days, I could disassemble by eye, with just an occasional
glance at The Green Card (had to do just that for a CompSci exam once).

Oh, and "db" was also your friend, on the -11.

-- Dave