On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 10:31 AM William Pechter wrote: > At least in the old days drives had Write Protect switches. > Not the issue - both disks were RW. I was running as root and ran a program that lacked a check it shoud have had it (because I was lazy and never put it in there). > Screw IBM for the in cable drive select lines on diskette > You of course realized that was because of field service issues of course. Setting all floppies (and later ST-506 disks) on the PC and using a twist in the cable meant they did not have to ask FS folks to set the jumpers properly. > and leaving off Write Protect on hard disks. Some disks had write protect > jumpers on the boards... > Hmmm.. I thought all disks at least had a strap. WD, CDC, Seagate, Shuggart, Toshiba all supported the strap. The IBM disks I remember did not also, but I'll take your word for it, it would have been like them to have removed it to save the connector cost. > They should have been The STANDARD. > Hmmm.. I'm not at home, but I think I have both the ST-412/506 and ESDI specs in a filing cab somewhere. I thought the standard did defined it. (Intel blocks 'bitsavers.org' for some reason so I can not look online but I think http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/seagate/ST412_OEMmanual_Apr82.pdf is likely to have it in there). Clem >