I should say -- UNIX (Gosling) EMACS came from CMU .... ᐧ On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 4:26 PM Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 3:44 PM Diomidis Spinellis wrote: > >> Was I misled? Was there perhaps a hacked version of vi that worked in this >> way? >> > I think you may be mixing a few stories ... and features ... > > > v6 vs v7 PDP-11 vs Vax much less vi vs emacs. > Some thoughts ... > > 1.) Emacs came from CMU and only a few years later after the Vax had was > stable (post 4.1BSD) > 2.) emacs was not so much prohibited as it was slow, it needed megabytes > of memory -- that was limit. > 3.) By the time emacs comes on the scene, workstations are showing up, so > you did not have 20 students on a vax to UCB. > 4.) Raw mode was a V6 feature for PDP-11, by the time of the Vax the TTY > was using V7 using CBREAK (1/2 cooked) which still allows canonicalization > > ᐧ >