Matt - this is wonderful work. Thank you. Clem ᐧ On Sat, Dec 9, 2023 at 10:34 PM segaloco via TUHS wrote: > After much saying I would and never getting around to it, I've finally > started filling out a bit of documentation on the various UNIX manuals I've > been tracking down, fleshing out history around, tracing bibliographic > references though, etc etc. > > https://wiki.tuhs.org/doku.php?id=publications:manuals > > Thus far I've got the research and CB pages filled out from available > information, and PWB/commercial up through about '85-'86, give or take some > things. I apologize in advance if I've omitted your favorite piece of > trivia or got something wrong, please suggest corrections in any areas > needing them, or even better, a Wiki is a communal resource so with > Warren's OK, I'm sure you can also make contributions. > > Most of the pictures are from my own library, although I've added a few > others from thing around the net. There are links to various documents > covered, TUHS content where most appropriate, a few archive.org and > bitsavers links here and there. I don't intend to include links to any > documents after System V's initial 1983 run, just pictures of covers for > ease of identification. > > I've already mentioned a few times but I highly encourage contributions. > I intend to do another round at this sometime soon and round out at least > the BSD stuff and later System V. If anyone else has photographs or > documents they think should be in these articles and you don't want to do > the Wiki part yourself, feel free to send me stuff and I'll make sure it > gets put up there. > > Finally, some reflection on the path here. "What was UNIX System IV" was > one of those questions that plagued my mind for a long time, much before I > knew much else about the history of UNIX. Not a crucial question by any > means, but it was one of those little mysteries I always wanted to know > more about, which is what then lead me to trying to find Release 4.0 > documents and all that. Of course, that then lead to the rabbit hole of > continuing to turn stuff up, I never imagined I'd actually be successful in > trying to turn up more info on that version, let alone then continuing to > find little pieces of history and slot in missing parts of stories. Along > the way I've learned more about this darn operating system than I ever > intended on learning and now feel net gain in several areas of my study. > Plus, all this Bell System proximity is largely responsible for my > interests in telephony as of late, and may come full circle in the gear I > got for telephone experiments helping me resurrect this poor UNIX PC I've > got sitting on the floor right now. I don't know what I would've been > doing with so much of my free time the past few years otherwise, especially > these colder months. > > Hope folks enjoy the commentary! > > - Matt G. > > P.S. Combing over things for this, I've found a few more pieces of the > UNIX/TS puzzle. The details are in the Release 3.0 section of the > PWB/Commerial page linked above. Short of it is there are some interesting > "leaks" of the name "UNIX/TS" into Release 3.0 documentation, > inconsistently between the sources on the UNIX tree and the physical > document I recently obtained. >