I dug up the 1991 UCB source to vcat from UUNET archives I have and Rob's note about the 1983 Regents copyright. I'll keep digging - BTW there is no assembler in this version. Finding a copy of the original 't' for Toronto directory from the 1977 Harvard USENIX tape would be helpful. I spoke with Henry Spencer yesterday, like me - Henry has the '79 Toronto USENIX tape (which is what is the TUHS archives). I'll try to track down Tom Ferrin, Tom Duff, Bill and Mike later. ᐧ ᐧ ᐧ On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 2:50 AM Jonathan Gray wrote: > On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 07:48:26AM +1100, Rob Pike wrote: > > > > Years later, bless him, Henry Spencer said something on Usenet explaining > > why the "Berkeley typesetting software" was missing the names of those > who > > created it. He was in the lab that weekend and saw it happen. > > > > -rob > > https://groups.google.com/g/net.unix-wizards/c/eZ1qIlRyhx0/m/UmE8cBRYbPEJ > Henry Spencer in net.unix-wizards Dec 17, 1983 > > "The proper credits for vcat are roughly as follows: > > Bill Reeves most of vcat, and the font editor > Tom Duff the inner loop of vcat, in pdp11 assembler > Rob Pike the (unreleased) precursor to vcat (called vd) > Mike Tilson miscellaneous optimizations > > The distributed source for vcat had Reeves, Pike, Tilson in the heading, > and Duff in the lone .s file. My thanks to Rob Pike for refreshing my > memory on this." >