BTW: dates for this is starting in the early-mid 1970s for ArpaNet/UNIX News/USENIX, V7 arrives 79, and Truscott does his talk I believe winter 1980. ᐧ On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 2:57 PM Clem Cole wrote: > Will, > > For those of us outside of BTL, i.e. the Academic users, "Unix News" was > created - which became ';login" - We started to meet informally at a few > universities and talk to each other. Those of us on the ArpaNet that > email/FTP and the like, started to share patches - but mostly things were > shared when we got together via magtape. When they were held in NYC, we > might be lucky and someone from Research might come (and even accidentally > spill a few bits on the floor that mix fix something). Eventually, USENIX > was formed, and we met twice a year formally. That was so popular, USENIX > started having specialty conferences such as the one for C and C++, LISA, > Networking, Linux and Free Software, etc. Similarly, with V7, UUCP was > given to use a USENET was started by Tom Truscott and his famous > "auto-dialler" that he hacked with a 12v relay, a DR-11C and described at > the Bolder USENIX conference. Netnews was not far behind - which sadly > became net.noise when the signal-to-noise ratio disappeared. > > Clem > ᐧ >